Entrepreneurship, digital media and eLearning have until now only played a minor role in higher education in music in Serbia, despite the ongoing digitalization and recent massive development of IT sector in Serbia.
DEMUSIS project aims at enhancing entrepreneurial abilities of academic musicians to use digital technologies artistically, creatively, knowledgeably, critically and responsibly (both toward self and others) in general and cultural context. The objective is to introduce forward-looking curricula that will offer sustainable career for musicians and provide them with knowledge, skills and understanding how to work alone and manage their own careers.
DEMUSIS aims to ensure capacity development of HEIs to educate culturally engaged professionals willing to participate in the civil society. There are 3 main project objectives: 1) development of new master programme “Music in digital environment”, modernization of existing study programmes in areas of music entrepreneurship and digital competencies. E-learning platform, on-line courses and LoLa system for distant musical performance will encourage the use of digital technologies; 2) continuing professional development for music professionals, aiming at improvement and enhancement of their digital and entrepreneurial skills; 3) strengthening music education in its lessons in citizenship and cultural participation and to bridge the current gap between music higher education institutions and civil society.
The project consortium consolidates efforts of 6 academic and 3 non-academic partners.
Expected impact of the project will include innovative and new curricula and new career possibilities for professional musicians, development of stronger and modernized academic institutions, novel methodology approach towards education of musicians able to facilitate interaction of academia and civil society and to enhance public participation in music.
There are three main specific objectives of the project.
A) Modernization of curricula: introduction of new master programme "Music in Digital Environment“ with strong entrepreneurial dimension and modernization of the first and second cycle of studies through introduction of new digital, technical and entrepreneurial skills.
B) Continuous professional development of employees in music sector in Serbia through creation and implementation of certified LLL courses.
C) Development of digital competencies as tool for artistic self-expression through entrepreneurship, to promote more engaged and culturally responsible musicians committed to the civil society.
The project will address the following target groups:
- Students will benefit from the promotion of new knowledge and skills and will be better prepared for an internationally-oriented labor market and future careers. Also, students will profit from having a greater understanding of entrepreneurial attitudes and digital technologies through new and modernized study programmes.
- Teaching, academic and non-academic staff from the partner institutions will be involved in the project: (a )management will adopt the new attitude towards entrepreneurship; (b) teachers will profit from the collaboration among HMEIs at European level, and gain new digital competencies, thus contributing to the quality of their teaching and the overall quality of their institutions; (c)non academic staff will gain from attending trainings.
- Serbian higher education institutions in music. Three highest music academic institutions in Serbia will use project results to: (a) build institutional capacities, equip their music labs with new and up-to-date hardware and software, change institutional paradigm towards digital technologies and entrepreneurship education; (b) modify existing curriculum towards 21st century requirements, to create new career prospects; (c) create on-line learning platforms suited to their own needs and (c) at a longer term, to increase their relevance for future students
- Music professionals will upgrade their knowledge with new skills and competencies through traditional and online LLL courses and gain greater access to the new employment markets
- Primary and secondary music education: teachers will take part in LLL trainings on music entrepreneurship and digital technologies
- Employers & employer organizations (especially rapid developing IT sector in Serbia) will benefit, as the project will ensure that education will better respond to their needs through enhancement of skills and practical knowledge of music graduates.
- Local/global communities and marginalized groups. New music initiatives will play a cementing role in community life and between music artists, authorities and government. Online music communities will be developed ensuring global impact.
- The cultural sector in general and the music industries in particular, who will find themselves supported by institutions that offer professionally-oriented training, as well as LLL provision and developmental activities for professionals.
- Society at large. Getting music students out of academia will impact social participation in national cultural policy.